On April 14, the technical conference on software development devoted to Linux, Embedded and Automotive - Root Linux Conference 2018, initiated by GlobalLogic - was held for the second time in Kyiv's Parkovsky Center of Technology, the largest in Eastern Europe.
The event gathered 20 speakers from 12 countries, with about 400 open-source-developers and Embedded engineers from 16 Ukrainian cities and 16 countries around the world.
Format and participants
The conference consisted of two parallel flow reports and a master-class flow. A significant part of the event was a demo zone. For each report was given one hour, which helped not only to reveal the topic but also to discuss it. Even if someone did not have time (or was embarrassed) to put a question in the room, the discussion also continued during coffee breaks, where the speakers were glad to continue the communication with participants.
The Root Linux Conference 2018 also hosted the Key Signing Party, a popular event among opensource developers, where participants present their PGP keys so that others can demonstrate their "digital signature" that is used in the collaborative process.
According to a survey, 97% of participants are going to attend the event next year, and 95% of participants were going to advise their friends on the event.
The event was attended by 20 speakers from Finland, Sweden, Germany, the Czech Republic, Norway, Great Britain, Poland, Ukraine and other countries. Among them are representatives of companies and organizations such as Cisco, Citrix, DENX, Intel, Linaro, Samsung, SUSE Linux, etc.
The top 5 speakers according to the feedback of participants included:
- Pavlo Suikov, “Artificial Intelligence, Theory and Practice”;
- Linus Walleij,“GPIO and Pin Control for Embedded Systems” та “MMC/SD and a Little SDIO”;
- Krzysztof Opasiak, “USB Attacks Explained”;
- Andrzej Pietrasiewicz, “Make Your Own USB Gadget”;
- Hans Verkuil, “HDMI Consumer Electronics Control: Intro & Status Update”;
There were also two master classes from Victor Tsikunov, Jani Valieva and Margarita Ostapchuk from Microsoft: "Kubernests as a Service" and "Infrastructure as Code (IaC) in Microsoft Azure".
In the demo zone, there were presented 6 samples of technological developments, in which engineers of GlobalLogic participated. Representatives of project teams throughout the day told everyone who wanted about the essence of their projects.
In particular, the following projects were presented at the stands:
- Solutions for the Automotive industry which allows expanding the range of useful multimedia functions in a car using the Xen hypervisor;
- A solution for a joint project with Mitsubishi Electric, which goal is to develop and upgrade Android-based software to a hardware platform based on the Qualcomm 820a processor to support car-specific features using 3 displays at a time;
- A concept of "Smart City", which involves the interaction of transport in the city with the infrastructure and among themselves;
- Video Streaming Solutions for Harmonic - the world leader in creating products for companies that broadcast video content on television and on the Internet.
- Project in the field of autonomous control of the car, devoted to the system of recognition and analysis of the environment in the process of movement;
- OpenSynergy project: A solution for sharing display - a graphics accelerator for various automotive platforms.
The conference partners not only helped to provide a high level of activity but also actively participated in the events of the day, demonstrating their technology products and solutions.
Cambium Networks is a long-term customer of GlobalLogic. GlobalLogic engineers help Cambium create software solutions for standard Wi-Fi equipment capable of transmitting wireless signals at distances of up to 120 km.
Dell, which introduced a range of laptops and tablets on its stand. Among the most interesting is the XPS13 model that can be transformed into a tablet and the super-reliable Latitude 7212 Rugged Extreme model.
Microsoft is actively involved in open source embedded development. In particular, the company created the Embedded Learning Library, which allows developers to run on single-board computers such as Raspberry Pi, Arduino and micro:bit, machine learning systems.
Renaultl demonstrated at the conference a new electric car, Zoe, which can drive 400 km on one charge. In addition, there is already a wide network of charging stations for such cars, including 60-70 stations in Kyiv.
Soon, videos and presentations from the conference will be provided to the participants, and then they will be available to all interested parties. To receive a notification about when the videos will be available, please fill out the form.
You may find the photo report of the event here.
You can read more about the event in the media, in particular:
- Root Linux Conference 2018: what cool do Ukrainian developers create (conference's description at AIN.ua);
- Developer of the core and Intel drivers - about entering the profession, "drying" the brains and relocating to Finland (interview with Andrei Shevchenko, speaker of the Root Linux Conference, on DOU.ua);
- The future has already come: how Ukrainian programmers are developing the world car industry (analysis of automotive solutions presented at the conference, from AutoUA.net);
- Ukrainian IT-specialists are working on an autopilot (an overview of innovations in Automotive, discussed at the conference, on AvtoMir.ua);
- The future of the automotive industry is now. Together with GlobalLogic we deal in detail (the story of technological automotive trends from Infocar).
GlobalLogic has already begun preparations for the Root Linux Conference 2019, which promises to be even more extensive and rich in interesting, practical content. If you would like to receive a notification regarding the start of a ticket sale and get a 10% discount, fill out this form.
If you have any questions or suggestions or would like to join the company's projects, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.