As the coronavirus epidemic in Ukraine continues, the authorities are frequently saying of their intentions to impose more strict measures to combat its spread. So, the week started with news that in the near future a state of emergency could be introduced in the country, which the business find extremely negative.
On March 23, seven major business communities of Ukraine announced that the introduction of the state of emergency will have a very negative impact on the Ukrainian economy. We hope that this statement was not in vain, as on March 25, instead of the state of emergency, the authorities introduced an emergency situation regime in entire territory of Ukraine until April 24, 2020.
At the moment, consolidation of forces to solve any issue plays a crucial role. In the context ofuncertainty and informational defocus, it is important for us to ensure that business interests are considered when adopting strategically important legislative initiatives.- said Konstantin Vasyuk, Executive Director of IT Ukraine Association.
Here is what you need to know about the emergency situation regime in Ukraine:
- the emergency situation regime does not temporarily restrict the rights and freedoms of citizens, unlike the state of emergency regime;
- restrictions of the emergency situation regime: quarantine regime, the work of city transport is restricted, shopping and entertainment centers are closed, ban on rallies, the State Emergency Service of Ukraine carries out disinfection activities. General education institutions are closed and residents are asked to stay at home and work remotely;
- emergency services have the right to unimpeded access to the business premises and may impose temporary bans or restrictions on traffic and pedestrians near and within the emergency area.
While the state of emergency regime is regulated by the Constitution of Ukraine and the Law on the legal regime of the state of emergency. To implement it, it is necessary to call the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine, the President shall sign the regime document with, and then it shall be voted for by the Verkhovna Rada. In the event of a state of emergency, very strict restrictions are imposed on:
- vehicle traffic and inspection of vehicles.
- reinforcement of public order protection and objects that provide life support for the population.
- prohibition of holding mass strikes and events.
- compulsory alienation or seizure of property from legal entities and individuals.
- introduction of curfew.
The emergency situation regime in Ukraine or its separate regions is introduced by the resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. It is important that it is implemented when normal living conditions in a country or region are disturbed during man-made disasters, natural disasters or epidemics. And once again, we want to stress that unlike the state of emergency, the emergency situation regime does not provide for a temporary restriction of rights and freedoms of citizens.